Thunder Bay ON
Contract – 43 weeks
Magnus Theatre is the Professional Theatre of Northwestern Ontario and we strive to present the highest quality theatrical productions to our community; productions that engage and entertain. For the past 46 years, Magnus has been bringing national and international performing and technical talent to Thunder Bay to produce theatrical classics, modern award-winning shows, and new Canadian and Indigenous works.
We are seeking a qualified Head of Properties to lead and work in our Properties Shop, to construct or source all property elements for our 6 Mainstage Productions, Summer Production, and various fundraising events throughout our season. The Head of Props will also act as a 2nd Scenic Painter and will work in tandem with the Scenic Painter. The Head of Properties shall work under the supervision of and report to the Technical Production Manager (TPM) and the Assistant Technical Director (ATD).
– B.A. in Theatre Production – specializing in Properties and/or Scenic Painting
– 5 years professional experience as a Properties Master in Theatre, Film or Dance
– First Aid Training
– Ontario Work At Height Certification
– Creation of Properties using a variety of techniques including: Moulding, Casting,
Sculpting, Painting and Kit-bashing
– Searching and acquiring specialty and period pieces for productions
– Re-upholstering and repairing furniture
– Working with Scale Technical Drawings provided by Set Designers – when required
– Creative Problem Solving
– Sourcing Props and Materials locally, within budget; through suppliers and the internet
– Scenic Painting and Visual Art Painting
– Supervision of employees, co-op students, and volunteers
– Maintaining a budget
– Adapting to a flexible schedule
– Ability to work Evenings and Weekends occasionally, in addition to a regular
– Ability to operate, and familiarity with, power and hand tools, and heavy shop
equipment, and air compression tools.
August 1st to May 31st
How To Apply:
Please apply via email to email@example.com with the subject line, “Hey Nick, I’m a Props/Painter!” Applicants should reply with a C.V., cover letter, and a portfolio (if available).
Application deadline is July 14th 2017 Applicants will only be contacted if they are considered for an interview. Interviews will be scheduled for the week of July 17th, 2017. Interviews can be scheduled in person or through Skype/Google Hangouts. Please indicate your preferred interview format in your email response.