Thunder Bay ON
Contract – 43 weeks
Magnus Theatre is the Professional Theatre of Northwestern Ontario and we strive to present the highest quality theatrical productions to our community; productions that engage, entertain and delight. For the past 46 years, Magnus has been bringing national and international performing and technical talent to Thunder Bay to produce theatrical classics, modern award winning shows, and new Canadian and Indigenous works.
We are seeking a qualified Carpenter Assistant to work with our Head Carpenter to construct all scenic elements for our 6 Mainstage Productions, Summer Production, and various fundraising events throughout our season. The Carpenter Assistant will also double as the Stage Hand to assist the Resident Stage Manager in preparing, managing and operating backstage elements during show runs. The Carpenter Assistant/Stage Hand shall work under the supervision of the Head Carpenter and Stage Manager and report to the Technical Production Manager (TPM) and the Assistant Technical Director (ATD).
– B.A. in Theatre Production – specializing in Carpentry and/or Stage Management
– Experience in Theatrical Production (Professional or Amateur)
– First Aid Training
– Ontario Work At Height Certification
– Joinery, Cabinetry, Furniture Building
– Working with Scale Technical Drawings provided by Set Designers
– Creative Problem Solving
– Creation of standard stage carpentry stock items, and custom pieces for each
– Ability to work on your feet for long stretches of time (5 hours)
– Working with performers assisting with costuming and props
– Basic stagecraft and familiarity with Technical Theatre operation
– Adapting to a flexible schedule
– Ability to work Evenings and Weekends occasionally, in addition to a regular
– Ability to operate, and familiarity with, power and hand tools, and heavy shop
equipment, and air compression tools.
August 1st to May 31st
How To Apply:
Please apply via email to email@example.com with the subject line, “Hey Nick, I’m a Carp/Stage Hand!” Applicants should reply with a C.V., cover letter, and a portfolio (if available).
Application deadline is July 14th 2017 Applicants will only be contacted if they are considered for an interview. Interviews will be scheduled for the week of July 17th, 2017. Interviews can be scheduled in person or through Skype/Google Hangouts. Please include your preferred interview format in your email response.